What kind of a person are you?How do you like to be addressed ?Do you like salutations and being addressed like the Queen or King?or you are like just call my name or simply like X Chechi or Y Chetta?I know of people who like to be called and treated like His/Her Royal Highness.Funny.I love people who treat me like a human being with respect due for a child of God.But wouldn't mind being called Mina Chechi/Mina.
This particular recipe is one a kind which is like, you will simply love it no matter what.Adapted from The Suriani Kitchen,this dish is simple and i was eating it spoonfuls in the pretext of tasting.That said i need to make a point clear,It is very difficult to convince me with a particular recipe/dish as my quality standards are very high.Now don't ask me ,how i managed in the hostel for two years.That's a loooongg story.
Feeling comfortable after gulping down food is the main criteria to impress or get into my good books.No guilty feeling or "oh my,i ate a lot" kind of feeling is a complete no no for me.As Simple is the new chic, lemme finish my lengthy kathi session and get down to the recipe.I prepared this with the mutton ribs as mentioned in the original recipe.Please go through the notes section as i did some basic/minor adaptations to suit my palate.
Recipe Source :The Suriani Kitchen Pg. No:117
- Mutton Ribs-500 g
- Mustard seeeds-1 tsp
- Coconut oil-1/4 cup
- Tomatoes-2 quartered
- Coriander powder-2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Crushed Black pepper corns-1 tbsp
- Crushed cardamom pods-3
- Cinnamon stick-1 inch
- Curry Leaves-a handful
- Salt-As req
- Water -1 cup
For the Coconut Paste
- freshly grated coconut-1 cup
- Green Chillies-4
- Ginger Chopped Finely-1 tbsp
- Garlic chopped-2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 Tsp
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.Add the shallots and fry them until soft.Add the tomatoes and continue cooking for few more minutes.
- Add the coriander,turmeric and pepper powder and stir so that they donot get burned.
- Add the cardamom,cloves and stir and fry for a minute.
- Add the coconut paste,ribs,salt and water and cook till they are done.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet and add the mustard seeds,when they crackle add the remaining shallots and curry leaves and fry till golden brown.Pour the seasoning over the cooked meat and stir to blend.
- I used half the quantity of coconut to make a paste which was fine for me.
- In the part of the world where i live in,Oil means Coconut oil unless otherwise mentioned.